New Arrivals

I have recently received three new sets of ova that I am currently trying to hatch. they are as follows:

Orthomeria kangi

This is a very interesting species from the Benquet area of the Phillipines. The adults are winged, and are a mixture of mainly black and red; the wings are clear and the feamles measure 50mm and the males 40mm, making this a very small species.

(the picture of the adult specimens is not mine)

IMG_4774 IMG_4786

Periphetes graniferum

Another Phillipine species that is found on a couple of different Phillipine islands. This is a species with very colourful 7-7.5cm males that are a mixture of green, blue, orange and black. The 8-8.5cm females are a mixture of green, blue and yellow/orange.

(The picture of the adult specimens is not mine)

IMG_4773IMG_4787

Necrosciinae sp “Tam Dao”

I currently have a subadult female specimen of this species, however the other nymphs I had of this species died due to an outbreak of fungus, so i decided to order more of this species so that I can achieve a successful culture. Both the male and the female are a beautiful bright dark green, with the females possessing a rather ‘flattened’ look; this species possesses clear wings. The males measure about 7.5-8cm and the females measure about 8.5-9cm.

(The picture of the adult specimens is not mine)

IMG_4772IMG_4570IMG_4788

 

Advertisements

Passing the torch

IMG_4648 IMG_4653

This week I was pleased to see that some of the eggs I collected from my Pseudophasma fulrum have hatched. I’m not sure on the exact number I currently have, but I believe it is around 10 nymphs.

What is interesting about this species is that they also have a chemical deterrent (I found out in the difficult way) and this chemical deterrent is much more powerful than the chemical deterrents that some of my other species possess.

A Lonely Stick

IMG_4571 IMG_4570 IMG_4569 IMG_4567 IMG_4565

My sole remaining Necrosciinae sp “Tam Dao” specimen is a subadult and should become a mature female in the near future. She is pictured above.

This species was the first species where I have not been able to raise enough individuals for a reproducing culture (I have however picked up extra specimens in order to guarantee success of a culture). It is something that saddens me, as this is a truly beautiful species that I would love to have a breeding population of. I have been fortunate however, as I have found a source of ova for this species that I will be looking to purchase from soonly.