This week I was pleased to see that some of the eggs I collected from my Pseudophasma fulrum have hatched. I’m not sure on the exact number I currently have, but I believe it is around 10 nymphs.
What is interesting about this species is that they also have a chemical deterrent (I found out in the difficult way) and this chemical deterrent is much more powerful than the chemical deterrents that some of my other species possess.
My sole remaining Necrosciinae sp “Tam Dao” specimen is a subadult and should become a mature female in the near future. She is pictured above.
This species was the first species where I have not been able to raise enough individuals for a reproducing culture (I have however picked up extra specimens in order to guarantee success of a culture). It is something that saddens me, as this is a truly beautiful species that I would love to have a breeding population of. I have been fortunate however, as I have found a source of ova for this species that I will be looking to purchase from soonly.
After months of agonising wait, some of my P.schultei females have finally matured. These will be the first females I have since the one I picked up at the AES died of old age before having a chance to reproduce and lay ova.
I now count two mature females and one more mature male, meaning that Inow have five mature specimens of this species. Hopefully I shall see copulation and egg laying activities soon so that the second generation of this species culd be underway for me. Here are a few pictures of one of the females:
Compared to an adult male on the left:
My Oreophoetes peruana (Peruvian fire sticks) having been hatching at a rate of around 2-3 daily, with my total number of nymphs at 25 now. Most of these nymphs will be distributed at the PSG meeting in July (which I will document on here in great detail).
The stunning red males of this species for some reason appear to live longer than the females; out of the original five males and four females I first hatched, all of the females have now perished whilst only one of the males has. This is very odd considering virtually all of the time (to my knowledge), female phasmids outlive male ones, so this may well be just an anomaly.
A few weeks ago, the last Lopaphus sp “Cuc Phuong” matured into an adult female. However, this one was different from every other female, which meant that it must have been the different morph- there are two female morphs in this species.
The female in question:
The female next to a female of the better-represented morph:
Here are a few closer comparisons of the two morphs:
Olive-green metathorax and reddish femurs of the ‘atypical’ morph
Bright blue metathorax and light brown femurs of the ‘typical’ morph
Red prothorax/ head and abdomen/ovipositor of the ‘atypical’ morph
Brown prothorax/head and white/black abdomen/ovipositor of the ‘typical’ morph
Smile for the family picture!
Pictured above are all of my Pseudophasma fulrum, all of which are now fully grown with only one male having a mishap with the final moult, leading to a bent abdomen along with other deformities, however thankfully he still has full flying capabilities; here he is pictured below:
Unfortunately, however, it does appear that the adult female I received originally is now dying due to old age, with this female now displaying darker colours, the inability to fly and slower movement. Thankfully, I have four other healthy mature adult females that will fulfil the role of reproduction with flying colours.
It is great to have successful cultures like I have with this species, with no specimens dying due to reasons other than old age and only having one problematic moult; hopefully some of my other species today and in the future will be just as successful, if not more.
The last adult female of my first generation of Oreophoetes peruana has now sadly perished, leaving behind just four adult males from that generation. Luckily, over a hundred ova were laid and 12 have hatched so far, with the eldest now in the third instar.
Here are a few pictures of one of the nymphs:
Well, after months of an agonising wait, it seems that the end is in sight; I now have a subadult female Peruphasma schultei (along with many younger ones) to mate with my two adult males and other soon-to-be adult males. It has been nearly seven months since these first hatched in August and I still have yet to see a mating pair, so hopefully the first one will be soon.
Here are a few pictures of her:
In comparison to an adult male (she is the one on the top):
Pictured above is my adult female Pseudophasma fulrum. Since my last post about this species in the introduction, two more males have matured and another female has become close to maturity, as indicated by the red wing buds pictured below:
Most of these guys are now sub adults and have shown relatively fast growth when compared to their fellow
inmates enclosure occupants, Peruphasma schultei, which haven’t produced any adults (apart from ones I picked up at the AES that were already adult) since they first hatched in August.
This species is a great flyer, particularly the males; it is a bit of a struggle to do anything with the males, since they will constantly
fly away whenever they are handled. The females are a bit better and less likely to make a flight for it, but I still do not dare to underestimate their flying abilities.
I decided to record both a male’s flight and a female’s flight in slow motion; unfortunately, the videos were not of a high enough quality to upload, thus I will have to redo the videos and will therefore hopefully be able to upload them in another post soon.